What is the Sports Premium?
The Government is providing funding of £150 million per annum for academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15 to provide new, substantial primary school sport funding’. This funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of Funding
- To improve the physical literacy of children
- To improve positive attitudes, attributes and skills
- To improve physical health and well-being
- To engage in competitive sports and activities
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses for the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or materials for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs
- Paying for ICT resources to use as evaluation tools and to promote learning
Here at Liskeard Hillfort, with the aid of Sports Premium, we hope to achieve the below aims:
- To up skill staff in delivering HQ PE lessons
- Provide outdoor and adventurous activities
- To improve teaching of dance and gymnastics
- To promote competitive sport
- To raise the attendance of sports clubs
- To improve the general health and fitness of pupils